Tom, the founder of the firm and former Attorney General of New Hampshire, has been actively involved in government relations since entering private practice in 1980. Tom has represented insurance and banking clients before the respective New Hampshire regulatory commissions. Among others, Tom has represented such clients as Fidelity Investments, Dartmouth College, Anthem and Gilbane on legislative, administrative and government relations issues in New Hampshire, New England and nationally. Tom also directed the public and government relations efforts for our client, Northeast Utilities, in its successful acquisition of Public Service Company of New Hampshire.
He was appointed by President George H. W. Bush to be a director of the Legal Services Corporation. Tom served as the Chairman of the election campaigns of New Hampshire’s former U.S. Senators, Warren Rudman and Judd Gregg and he actively assisted in the U.S. Senate process that confirmed David Souter as Supreme Court Justice. Tom has served as a senior national advisor to the presidential campaigns of Howard Baker, Robert Dole, Lamar Alexander, Mitt Romney and George W. Bush. He has been a delegate to the 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008 and 2012 Republican National Conventions and he was the Republican Party National Committeeman for New Hampshire from 1996-2000 and 2002-2007. Tom is widely respected as a political analyst at both the state and national level and he appears regularly on national, regional and state television newsmaker programs.
Tom has served as chairman and a member of the Board of Trustees of Daniel Webster College, he was a member of the Board of Visitors of the Rockefeller Center for the Social Sciences at Dartmouth College, a member of the Dartmouth Medical School Board of Overseers and a member of the Dartmouth College Committee on Trustees. He has been a director of the Concord Chamber of Commerce and the N.H. Business and Industry Association. Tom is currently a member of the Advisory Board of the New Hampshire Institute of Politics at St. Anselm College and he served on the Board of Directors for Associated Grocers of New England and serves on the Board of Lincoln Financial Variable Investment Products Trust. He also serves on the New England Council Board of Directors.
In 2004, Tom along with Judi Rhines founded The Rath Group, which provides specialized strategic consulting services to New England and national business and not-for-profit entities. Tom and Judi work in Concord, Boston and Washington, D.C.
The information and materials contained on the Rath, Young and Pignatelli, P.C. website are intended for informational purposes only. The information you obtain from this website does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The content of an e-mail or any other communication or material sent to the firm or any of its attorneys will not create an attorney-client relationship and, until an attorney-client relationship is otherwise formed, will not be treated as confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation.Accept
- Georgetown University Law School, J.D., 1971
- Dartmouth College, B.A., 1967
- Immediate Past Chairman, Board of Directors, The New England Council
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Associated Grocers of New England
- Member, Board of Directors, Lincoln Financial Variable Investment Products Trust
- Member, Advisory Committee, The New Hampshire Institute of Politics, St. Anselm College
- Member, Temporary Delegate Selection Committee, Republican National Committee
- Attorney General, State of New Hampshire, 1978-1980
- Senior Advisor-NH, Romney for President, 2007-2008 and 2010-2012
- Senior Advisor-NH, Bush for President, 1999-2000
- Senior Advisor, Alexander for President, 1995-1999
- Senior National Advisor, Dole for President Committee, 1987-1988
- National Committeeman, Republican National Committee, 1996-2000 and 2002-2007
- Member, Rules Committee, Republican National Committee
- Campaign Strategist, Gregg for Senate, 1992
- Chief Strategist and Chairman, Rudman for Senate Committee, 1980, 1985-1987
- Republican National Conventions Delegate, 1984, 1988, 1992, 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012
- Tom appears regularly as a political analyst on both national and regional news programs. He also speaks frequently to groups in New Hampshire and throughout New England on a variety of legal and political issues.
- Included in Best Lawyers in America 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Included in New England Super Lawyers in Government Relations law yearly since 2007
- Law Clerk, the Honorable Clarkson Fisher, United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1971-1972