A founding shareholder of the firm, Michael leads the Litigation Practice Group, specializing in business and commercial litigation matters, defense of medical malpractice actions, and advising medical doctors and practices in a variety of legal matters. He is an accomplished trial lawyer in New Hampshire and Massachusetts state and Federal courts, and brings extensive experience to the investigation, evaluation, settlement or trial of major cases. Michael is a skilled litigator, effective negotiator, and successful courtroom lawyer.
Michael is a Fellow in the prestigious American College of Trial Lawyers. He has achieved Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer review rating of A-V (pre-eminent legal ability and meeting highest ethical standards). He has been and is selected by his peers to be listed in the Best Lawyers of America in the areas of business litigation and medical litigation, in Super Lawyers Corporate Edition, and in Super Lawyers of New England. Michael is also a member of the New Hampshire Bar Association and the Defense Research Institute.
In private practice since 1984, Michael has achieved an excellent record in trying numerous civil jury matters and negotiated substantial settlements in lawsuits involving environmental claims, business disputes, class actions, medical malpractice, professional liability, personal injury and products liability. Much of his work has been in complicated multi-party litigation in both state and Federal courts in New Hampshire and other states.
Prior to entering private practice, Michael served as Assistant Attorney General of New Hampshire and Chief of the Criminal Justice Division. He successfully prosecuted numerous homicide and sophisticated white collar crime cases and appeared before the New Hampshire Supreme Court 40 times to defend convictions. He is also a Nashua Police Commissioner, past member of the New Hampshire Judicial Council and past member of the Nashua Board of Aldermen. He has happily assisted his wife, Debora, in her work and campaigning as a member of the New Hampshire Governor’s Council.
The information and materials contained on the Rath, Young and Pignatelli, P.C. website are intended for informational purposes only. The information you obtain from this website does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The content of an e-mail or any other communication or material sent to the firm or any of its attorneys will not create an attorney-client relationship and, until an attorney-client relationship is otherwise formed, will not be treated as confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation.Accept
- Boston College Law School, J.D., 1979
- University of Massachusetts, M.B.A., magna cum laude, 1973
- New Hampshire
- Represented a high-tech company in a California lawsuit for environmental claims.
- Represented doctors and hospitals in professional liability actions and variety of legal matters.
- Represented a business for damages resulting from negligent representation of the assets of a purchased company.
- Settled a multi-million dollar environmental insurance claim for a corporate client.
- Negotiated substantial settlement for corporation in breach of contract claim.
- Prosecute personal injury claims on behalf of persons injured in motor vehicle crashes and other types of accidents.
- Former Assistant Attorney General and Chief of Criminal Division.
- Past member of Nashua Police Commission
- Former member of Nashua Board of Aldermen
- Past member of New Hampshire Judicial Council
- State Board of American College of Trial Lawyers
- Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers
- Martindale Hubbell’s highest peer rating of A-V (pre-eminent legal ability and meeting highest ethical standards)
- Selected by peers and listed in Best Lawyers of America
- Selected by peers and listed in New England Super Lawyers
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association
- Member, Defense Research Institute