Judith is Of Counsel to the firm, and a member of the Health Care Group and the Litigation Group. Judith works with health care providers and entities in a variety of forums and contexts in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire. She represents health care providers in defending medical malpractice claims in both states. In the context of license defense and administrative law, she represents providers before Massachusetts Boards of Registration including Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Psychology, Allied Mental Health and Chiropractic, the Division of Administrative Law Appeals, and the Department of Public Health, as well as before multiple New Hampshire licensing boards. Judith also assists health care clients faced with potential data breach issues, and provides a range of health care consultation and representation. She came to New Hampshire from a Boston law firm in 2008.
Prior to her work as an attorney Judith spent fifteen years in emergency medical services, including roles in direct patient care, teaching, system management, and quality control.
The information and materials contained on the Rath, Young and Pignatelli, P.C. website are intended for informational purposes only. The information you obtain from this website does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The content of an e-mail or any other communication or material sent to the firm or any of its attorneys will not create an attorney-client relationship and, until an attorney-client relationship is otherwise formed, will not be treated as confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation.Accept
- Brandeis University, BA, 1988
- Boston University School of Law, JD, magna cum laude, 2000
- New Hampshire
- Also admitted to the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, the U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire, and the First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented oral surgeon accused of negligent placement/dental implant failure in Superior Court jury trial, resulting in defense verdict.
- Represented oral surgeon accused of negligence in performing wisdom tooth extraction causing jaw fracture in Superior Court jury trial, resulting in defense verdict.
- Represented oral surgeon accused of negligent placement of dental implants causing nerve injury in Superior Court jury trial, resulting in defense verdict.
- Represented neurosurgery practice in case alleging negligence and lack of informed consent causing spinal injury, resulting in defense verdict.
- Judith served most recently as President of Opera New Hampshire, which has brought live opera to Southern New Hampshire for over 50 years.
- Judith serves as a member of the Massachusetts Bar Association’s Health Care Law Section Council. She is also past-President of the New Hampshire Bar Association’s Health Law Section.
- American Health Lawyer’s Association
- Medical Professional Liability Association (f/k/a PIAA)
- Invited Participant, OMSNIC Risk Management Seminar at NHDS Meeting, May 18, 2019
- Speaker, Mass. Bar Association Health Law Symposium, March 22, 2019
- Invited Speaker, Mass. Bar Assoc. Career Panel, March 6, 2019
- Invited Speaker, Fortress Insurance – e-presentation on Risk Management, March 2019
- Invited Speaker, Physician’s Insurance Association of America, Common Issues in Implant and Extraction Cases, Santa Monica, CA, April 2018
- Featured Speaker, New Hampshire Dental Office Management Group, Compliance Review, Bedford, NH, February 2018
- Invited Speaker, Residents of the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, Deposition Defense, Washington, D.C., October 2, 2015
- Invited Speaker, Issues in Risk Management for the Dental Practitioner, Yankee Dental Congress, Boston, MA, 2015
- Invited Lecture, Legal Issues in Botox and Cosmetic Procedures by General Dentists, Tufts School of Dental Medicine, Boston, MA, Spring 2014
- Sponsored Speaker, Deposition Testimony and Expert Witness Issues, Yankee Dental Congress, Boston, MA, 2014
- “Big Data, Small Data, Value and Monetizing Medical Records”, Mass. Bar Association Section Review March – April 2019 (with Ken Bartholomew).
- “E-Discovery and the Cloud Server: Issues and Strategies,” The Voice (DRI), March 2018, Vol. 17 Issue 9 (originally published in Mass Bar Association newsletter, December 28, 2017).
- “Update: Non-Discrimination Requirements Under Federal Law,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, May 24, 2017
- “Changes at the DEA That Can Affect Your Practice,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, October 13, 2016
- “Good Morning! My Name is SAMAS, and I Have All Your Medical Records,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, July 5, 2016
- “Universal Health Services Inc. v. United States ex rel Escobar,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, June 16, 2016
- “Medicare, Medicaid, Billing, and Electronic Health Records: Tricks, Traps, and Changing Standards,” Devine Millmet E-Alert, April 15, 2016
- “Massachusetts Board of Registration in Dentistry: January 2016 Initiatives,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, February 3, 2016
- “Data Breach and Medical Malpractice Liability in Massachusetts,” Devine Millimet E-Alert, January 19, 2016
- “OMSNIC Guardian: HIPAA Issues in Law Enforcement Investigations (with Jeffrey Stone, D.M.D.; M.D.),” November/December 2015
- “OMSNIC Guardian: Cyber Security Issues for the Office Practitioner,” Winter 2014-2015
- “The Power of the Patient Complaint, in AAOS Now,” January 2008 (Journal of the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery)
- “Doctors at the Bargaining Table: The Boston Medical Center Case,” with Edward Christiansen, Thomas Smith, Margaret Bryant and Steven Jacobs in Health Law Digest, Vol. 28, N.2 (February 2000)
- “What Would Hippocrates Think? Physicians, Unions, and the Drive to Organize,” with Edward Christiansen, Thomas Smith, Aletha O’Donnell and Caroline Westover in Docket: The Journal of the American Corporate Counsel Association, December 1999
- “Scaling the Wall of ERISA: Utilization Review as the Practice of Medicine,” Boston University Public Interest Law Journal, Vol. 9, N.1 (Fall 1999)
- 2008 OMSNIC Defense Star
- Rated Martindal-Hubbell AV