Barbara is Of Counsel with the Firm. She is a member of the Health Care Practice Group and of the Education and Nonprofit Law Group. Barbara’s practice involves counseling physicians, hospitals, FQHCs, and other health care providers on a wide range of health care issues, including collaborative arrangements, contracting, regulatory compliance, fraud and abuse, reimbursement, licensing and accreditation, tax-exempt issues, and privacy and breach notification matters. Barbara also advises independent schools and colleges on a variety of issues, including legislative matters, contracts, privacy, and school policies and procedures. Barbara is admitted to practice in New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania. Prior to coming to New Hampshire, Barbara practiced with the Philadelphia-based firm Drinker, Biddle & Reath, where her practice concentrated on work for nonprofit hospitals, including hospital mergers and acquisitions in several states. Earlier in her career she practiced in Toronto, Ontario with the Torys firm and also with the Ontario Ministry of Health.
The information and materials contained on the Rath, Young and Pignatelli, P.C. website are intended for informational purposes only. The information you obtain from this website does not constitute legal advice and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. The content of an e-mail or any other communication or material sent to the firm or any of its attorneys will not create an attorney-client relationship and, until an attorney-client relationship is otherwise formed, will not be treated as confidential. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own particular situation.Accept
- Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, Canada, LL.B., 1980
- University of Toronto, B.A., graduated with distinction, 1981
- New Hampshire
- Structuring and negotiating joint ventures and other business arrangements and transactions involving health care providers.
- Assisting providers in negotiating and drafting employment and professional services agreements, as well as joint recruitment arrangements.
- Advising providers on developing ASCs and walk-in clinics.
- Counseling providers on health care regulatory compliance (Stark, Anti-Kickback, HIPAA).
- Providing compliance training.
- Advising providers on privacy and breach of notification issues.
- Advising schools and colleges on accommodation and privacy issues.
A resident of Vermont, Barbara is actively involved in her community. She is a mentor in the Everybody Wins! Vermont elementary school reading program, and a volunteer at Middlebury’s Town Hall Theater. She is an active participant in the University of Vermont Extension Master Gardener Program. Barbara is also a member of the Cornwall Development Review Board.
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Member, New Hampshire Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Barbara has made presentations at the New Hampshire Ambulatory Surgery Association, the New Hampshire Bar Association, and HFMA conferences on a range of topics, including governance and quality assurance, Medicare regulations, and telemedicine.
- Barbara has authored legal updates for clients and organizations such as NH MGMA, on various health law developments, including such things as electronic health records, e-prescribing, physician supervision, breach notification, HIPAA developments, exclusion from federal health care programs, and New Hampshire’s law in registration of medical technicians.